A Most Agreeable Pastime

A Most Agreeable Pastime

Friday, May 16, 2014

Vexed (British TV Series)


Vexed British Comedy Police TV Series 2010
Vexed British Comedy Police TV Series 2010Lately, I'm sure many caught Toby Stephens as Captain Flint in Black Sails. Personally, I have not seen the series (not really into pirate films/movies) but whenever I hear of Toby Stephens, I am always reminded of a little known series by BBC2, Vexed, which is still on hiatus after the second season. This series was created by Howard Overman ,who was responsible for series like Hotel Babylon, Merlin, Hustle & Misfits, and is actually a comedy police drama about two police detectives who can't get along with each other but still manage to solve cases together. The first season ,which comprised of only 3 episodes, starred Lucy Punch as DI Kate Bishop who was later replaced, in the following 6 episodes of the second season, by Miranda Raison as DI Georgina Dixon. Frankly, I liked the second season more because the writing was funnier and I felt Miranda Raison was a better foil to Toby Stephen's DI Jack Armstrong (of course, that is just my opinion). The thing is, after seeing Vexed, I can't really reconcile Toby Stephens with his more serious roles like Captain Flint and Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre (which I have not seen either). Because I'm fond of the series, I'm still hoping that there will be a third season to it. Heard rumours that some networks in the US are interested in remaking the series but I feel part of the charm of the series is Toby Stephens. Without him, the series just won't be the same. Decided to post a video with a scene from the series (which still remains my favourite) of Jack inventing a song (on the spur of the moment) to avoid doing some real police work which Georgina asked his help with.

               

(Video Uploaded on YouTube by Ambermoon42)

Toby Stephens as Mr Rochester (2006 TV Series Jane Eyre)

Seriously, Mr Rochester?

Those interested in watching this series for the first time or wish to revisit it, can purchase both seasons on DVD from Amazon US or watch the episodes on Amazon's streaming platform, Prime, courtesy of Acorn TV. Links provided below.  

      Vexed Series 1 DVD Amazon US  (paid link)

     Vexed Series 2 DVD Amazon US (paid link)

    Vexed Amazon Prime (paid link)

No comments:

Post a Comment